Scientific research has been collected from hospice workers who have asked people on their death beds what their biggest regrets were. They came up with the top 5 things people most regret which are listed at the bottom of this page. The 3 I discuss are intertwined with the top 5 & this list can help spark the inspiration needed for you to begin living your best life! A life you can reflect on daily and you won’t regret it years from now.
Number 1) Do what you Love!
Don’t waste your life spending all your time at a job you hate! Try out all sorts of things to see what you enjoy doing most. If someone is an expert in the subject you love then you can too! It’s possible. This article can help you figure out what you really would like to do in life.
Forbes discusses statistics here where 71% of employees in America hate their jobs… So most people would rather spend their entire life working a job they hate just so they can keep living, which is to keep working until they can possibly retire. Are you living to work or working to live? Choose to live now.
When you do what you love you feel better about yourself & have a stronger connection with a higher purpose. Take time out of your day to do more of what you love!
2) Don’t live for the approval of others.
“There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” Aristotle
Many people never follow their dreams because they are so afraid of what other people will think about them. Someone whose main goal in life is to impress other people will one day end up reflecting on so many meaningless interactions that could have been spent in a joyous more fulfilling way. The funny thing is, no matter what you do or how nice you are people will still disagree with you. People will criticize, complain & try to bring you down.
Are you choosing to live small? Or are you letting the light that is within all of us shine?
If you live based off of other people’s opinions you will never be right. There will always be someone who finds fault in what you choose to do so you need to do work that matters to you! Allow your beliefs to guide you, not anyone else’s.
3) Make A Choice
“Not making a choice is still making a choice.” Unknown
When you don’t choose, you are making the choice Not to choose! You are leaving the situation up to fate instead of taking control of it yourself.
You are making choices every single day! But most of the choices you make are habitual such as “Do I stay with my job or take the risk of following my dream?
Have you asked yourself that question?^^
You have a choice about your job. You have a choice with who your friends are. You have a choice about your relationship.
When you stay with someone or stay in a place that you dread, it’s time for some change. Where do you feel like you’re being called? What would you do if you could spend your days doing anything you want? I’m sure there are opportunities to get experience & get paid to do what you love.
Feel free to email me if you are wondering how you can begin living a life that you truly love.
Make a choice. Act on that choice then let it go & move on. There are more choices to be made. If you never choose, you’ll be exactly where you are for your entire life…
The choice is yours.
How do you make a choice?
Make choices that lead you closer to where & who you want to be and what you want to achieve.
“May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” Nelson Mandela
“Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, make a different choice.” Anonymous
“Your life is a result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it is time to start making better choices.” Anonymous
“No matter what the situation, remind yourself, I have a choice.” Deepak Chopra
“Ignore the noise and follow your own choice.” Anonymous
“It is our choices….that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” J.K. Rowling
“Life is the sum of all your choices.”Anonymous
•Do what you love. It’s better to fail at what you love doing than regret not doing it later.
•Don’t live for the approval for others. People will criticize you no matter what.
•Make a choice. Don’t allow fear to control your choices. Be guided by Love.
Top 5 things people regret most when on their death beds:
1) “I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.”
2) “I wish I had stayed in touch with friends.”
3) “I wish I had let myself be happier.”
4) “I wish I had the courage to express my true self.”
5) “I wish I lived a life true to my dreams instead of what others expected of me.”
Share this article if you are going to live a life you won’t regret!
1) “Pretend that your life was a movie and it started now, what would the hero do? What would the person that you respect do? What would the person that you admire, and inspires you do? Do that. Live your life like you’re the hero in your own movie.”
2) “We define ourselves far too often by our past failures. That’s not you. You are this person right now. You’re the person who has learned from those failures. Build confidence and momentum with each good decision you make from here on out and choose to be inspired.”
3) “If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.”
4) “Not knowing the truth doesn’t make you ignorant. Not wanting to know the truth is what makes you ignorant.”
5) “It’s very important to help people figure out how to manage life, to help people figure out how to think, help inspire them, help show them what can be gained from setting goals and achieving them and that excellent feeling – and that becomes contagious.”
6) “Treat everyone as if they were you. If we really are one, then I am you and you are me.”
7) “The time you spend hating on someone robs you of your own time. You are literally hating on yourself and you don’t even realize it.”
8) “Haters are all failures. It’s 100% across the board. No one who is truly brilliant at anything is a hater.”
9) “My act is so completely and totally uncensored that the only way I could really pull it off is if I treat the audience like they’re my best friends.”
10) “Your attitude has a giant effect not just on your life, but on other peoples lives around you.”
11) “There’s a direct correlation between positive energy and positive results in the physical form.”
12) “Life is strange. You keep moving and keep moving. Before you know it, you look back and think, ‘What was that?’”
13) “In all my travelings, all my life adventures; I have to say I still don’t know what life is, absolutely no clue, and it is a subject that is constantly on my mind. One thing I do know for a fact is that the nicer we are to our fellow human beings, the nicer the universe is to us.”
14)“There really are no grown-ups, just kids that got old and had kids of their own.”
15) “That’s my only goal. Surround myself with funny people, and make sure everyone has a good time and works hard.”
16) “We got sidetracked and diverted into these boxes, that they call ‘companies’ and ‘corporations.’ And we got stuck in these containers that they call ‘cubicles’ or ‘offices.’ So our time, instead of it being invested in making pottery or fixing cars or doing something where you have a passion or some sort of connection to. Instead of that, you’ve sold your life to sit in a box and work for a machine; an uncaring machine that demands productivity. It doesn’t understand you. It doesn’t want to understand you. No natural behavior. Everyone is wearing clothes they don’t want to wear. Everybody is showing up and doing something they don’t want to do. They have no connection to it. That’s the problem with our society. And then what’s the reward? Go home and get a big TV.”
17) “Get better at whatever you’re doing. So what if you suck at it now. Everybody sucks at everything when they start. But if you love it, and don’t lie to yourself, then get better at it.”
18) “No matter how civilized we are and how much society has curbed violent behavior. Human beings still have the same genes they had 10,000 years ago. Our bodies are designed to have a certain amount of physical stress and violence in them. We’re designed to run from jaguars and fight to defend our territory.”
19) “Here’s the craziest thing about life, this is the thing that nobody really considers; you know as much about what life is all about as anybody who’s ever lived, ever. That’s the craziest thing about us. We’re all just kinda wandering through this going “‘You know what you’re doing?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘Oh, I do too. I know what I’m doing.’ ‘Okay. Good, then.’” But really no one has a clue.”
20) “Reality really is a theatre. There’s no other way to describe it. It’s all so nonsensical, ridiculous and chaotic.”
21) “The quicker we all realize that we’ve been taught how to live life by the people that were operating on the momentum of an ignorant past the quicker we can move to a global ethic of community that doesn’t value invented borders or the monopolization of natural resources, but rather the goal of a happier more loving humanity.”
22) “I realized a long time ago that instead of being jealous you can be inspired and appreciative. It carries more energy to you. That can be an awesome and motivating force that can improve your life if you choose to be inspired and not jealous. One has no benefit whatsoever, the other is an incredible resource for creating momentum and improvement.”
23) “The key to happiness doesn’t lay in numbers in a bank account but in the way we make others feel and the way they make us feel.”
24) “Very few people actually look up at night and go wow, that literally is infinite. We are floating in infinity. It is easier to see infinity than it is to see the ground. I have more view of the infinity.”
25) “To really appreciate life you got to know you’re going to die.”
26) “When someone comes along and expresses him or herself as freely as they think, people flock to it. They enjoy it.”
27) “The universe rewards calculated risk and passion.”
28) “The audience changes every night. You’re the same person. You have to speak your mind and do the stuff that you think is funny and makes you laugh…I never want to compromise my act just to get a laugh.”
29) “Work for that feeling that you have accomplished something…Don’t waste your time on this earth without making a mark.”
30) “Discomfort is your friend. It doesn’t matter if you’re sick, if you have kids… if you’re a pro, you go to work…The worst choice that a man can make is to become comfortable.”
31) “Bad breaks are an opportunity for you to reboot, to reassess, get better, figure out another way through your challenges. The people that look at those challenges and say ‘Well why do I have those challenges?’ – They’re cancer. They are dangerous people to be around. They will rob you of your enthusiasm and won’t give you any fuel.”
32) “All the time that you spend complaining, you could instead be hustling. You could be chasing your dream. You could be figuring out what you’re doing wrong and improving your life.”
33) “The people I know that have the hardest time keeping it together emotionally are people that don’t work out.”
34) “Do things that are difficult. It’s very important to struggle. You don’t get to know yourself without struggle. You don’t know who you are until you get tested.”
35) “In order to be truly great at something you have to give into a certain amount of madness.”
36) “One of the most fascinating lessons I’ve absorbed about life is that the struggle is good.”
37) “90% of success is just showing up. Get there and start working. You’re not going to feel perfect everyday. There’s gotta be those days you push through.”
38) “If things aren’t going the way you want them to go, then do something about it! Quit talking about your problems and go out and do something to fix them!”
39) “The brain is the general and the troops are the body. Write down your goals and get stuff done.”
40) “Fuel people are the ones out there hustling and always getting things done. My friend Jocko works out at 4:30 in the morning every day. Why? Because he doesn’t want to. That’s how you do it. You go and get after it and don’t make any excuses.”
41) “Resistance is the key battle that you’re going to fight for the rest of your life, but the key to overcoming that resistance is to fight it. Every day you do so, you have won the battle for that day.”
42)“There’s levels to dedication, to discipline, to drive to focus to obsession. There’s levels to it – and if you’re sitting on the sidelines saying “It must be nice”, you just don’t get it.”
43)“Greatness and madness are next door neighbors and they often borrow each other’s sugar.”
44) “100% of all haters in the world are unrealized potential.”
45) “I want to make sure that everything that I’m creating, I’m creating it so other people get enjoyment out of it. And that’s the reward that you get for that.”
As I was gazing at stars tonight in the pool, I had this thought…
I want to be financially free just like the next person, but this does not mean I should be living my whole life only to make money.
I spend a lot of time thinking about how I will earn my next dollar. I think a lot of people do, and I realized that I do not want to be consumed by the thought of money. Life is so much more than these pieces of paper we use for transactions.
So what is life about? …It’s NOT about making money.
- Life is about making the world better than it was before you came to this Earth.
- Life is about having a positive influence on the lives of others.
- Life is about finding something you truly love doing, then doing it until you become an expert!
- Life is about spending time with people who support & love you; stop spending time with people who only bring you down.
- Life is about the adventure.
- Life is about finding answers to questions but also accepting that some questions won’t be answered.
- Life is about Living.
What is life about for you?
Life is not meant to be wasted constantly thinking about the dollar bill. Or the five, or the ten, or the twenty, fifty, not even the hundred dollar bill. Crazy huh?
I know that money is a necessity when it comes to paying the bills and raising a family, but you can be pursuing what you love as you make money in another way (A Job) until you start getting paid for what you love doing (Your Captivating Career).
Do you truly want to spend your days consumed by the thought of money? Or do you want to free your mind and start truly living the life meant to be lived? The choice is yours…
Get off of the couch and go for a walk. Call a friend or family member. Think about how you can positively impact this world, your community, one person, and then do it! Take time to think of what you love doing, and try to figure out how you can make a job out of it. Appreciate and be thankful for what you have, for one day, this too shall pass.
Think it’s impossible? It’s not. More and more people are doing what they love. This is a new day, a new age, a new generation. Here is one awesome example of a person who quit their job to follow their passion:
Please leave a comment below if you’d like. Let me know what Life is about for you.
And enjoy each moment of this beautiful mystery we call Life.